I think it is so important to act when you are inspired - wait or put it off and the inspiration can trickle away and you may never make that amazing project you so wanted to make when you saw the pattern or the fabric.
MY TOP 10 TIPS FOR SEWING YOURSELF HAPPY
1. Sew something that gets you really excited.
2. Plan your make - this doesn't have to be a really detailed plan, it can literally just be you writing down what you are going to make and what fabrics you are thinking of making it out of. And getting all the equipment together.
3. Set some time aside for you to create your make and stick to it. A couple of hours is ideal, one to pattern cut and one to sew, but if you can't do that, try 40 min blocks.
4. Turn off your phone - unless you are following an online tutorial then it is allowed, but turn off your demanding notifications!
5. Wear warm clothes - this one can sound a bit obvious, but I just can't seem to settle into a project if I'm cold, and I tend to get cold when sitting down sewing. You want to keep your body nice and warm so you are comfortable and to stop you getting stiff leaning over your work.
6. Have a drink at hand - ideally water! Sewing can be thirsty work!
7. If you are not following an online tutorial, it can be relaxing listening to the radio, music or podcast. There will be times you will need to totally concentrate but you can always pause/turn it down for the serious stuff.
8. Don't worry about making mistakes - that is how we learn.
9. If you are struggling and it is no longer enjoyable - STOP. Take yourself away, go for a walk/put the kettle on, grab a snack, and leave it until you are in a better mindset.
10. Try to visualise the finished project, looking amazing, and try to imagine how pleased, happy and proud you will feel when you have made it. This always keeps me going when I am unpicking something!
Join me in my Sewing Confidence Community facebook group for more sewing talk, encouragement and tips!
I'm running a FREE live sewing lesson on how to turn an outgrown t-shirt into a zipped cushion on Wednesday, May 12 at 11am.
Sign up HERE to register and for a FREE pattern - if you can't make the live, I'll let you know how you can watch it at a later time that suits.
Also, download your free weekly Sarah Loves To Sew sewing planner here.
Look forward to seeing you there!